Ditch the Dryer Sheets
Using the SmartKlean Laundry Ball will naturally leave your clothes smelling fresh and neutral, feeling soft and as a plus, you no longer need to worry about static-cling! This means you no longer need to buy dryer sheets. However for those who prefer an aroma on their garments, skip the toxic dryer sheets the next time you do a load of laundry.
Instead of infusing your wash with synthetic fragrances, opt for a naturally scented solution.
Fill an undyed cotton or linen drawstring sachet with dried organic lavender, give the bag a few squeezes to release the fragrance, and then toss it into the dryer with your laundry. Alternatively, you can add a few drops of your favorite essential oil on a hankie or dishtowel.
There are many places where you can purchase these sachets filled with lavender online, but we recommend buying dried lavender in large amounts and making your own sachets to save money.
Happy and safe cleanings!
P.S. Why are Dryer Sheets Toxic?
Let’s look at what the chemicals in them are, and why they’re bad for you.
The Chemicals In Dryer Sheets
- ALPHA-TERPINEOL– Causes CNS (Central Nervous System) disorders and is highly irritating to mucus membranes.
- BENZYL ACETATE– Carcinogenic (linked to pancreatic cancer).
- BENZYL ALCOHOL– Causes CNS disorders. It is irritating to the upper respiratory tract” causing “headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drop in blood pressure, CNS depression, and death in severe cases due to respiratory failure.
- CAMPHOR– Causes CNS disorders.
- CHLOROFORM– Toxic. It is an anesthetic and carcinogenic.
- ETHYL ACETATE– Narcotic. This product is on the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list. Irritating to the eyes and respiratory tract.
- LINALOOL– Narcotic. Causes DNS disorder, respiratory disturbances.
- PENTANE-”Danger-Harmful if inhaled; extremely flammable.
This information comes directly from NonToxic.com.